[WSBAPT] 2 probates?

Inge Fordham inge at fordhamlegal.com
Thu Oct 22 16:27:28 PDT 2020

Colleagues,

Has anyone attempted to open a joint probate where one spouse died intestate and the second spouse died testate?  I am trying to save my client the added expense of having to commence two separate probates but don’t know that I can under the circumstances.

DH died intestate in 1976, sole asset was real community property.  Title was never cleared to remove DH.  Then DW died testate in 2020 leaving her entire estate (including the same real property) to her spouse.  Son of DH and DW is willing to serve as administrator and personal representative (he is the named PR in DW’s will).  Can I file a joint petition for probate of will, appointment of administrator and personal representative, and order granting nonintervention powers?  Or must I file separately?

I would like to know if anyone has attempted this and, if so, whether they were able to file jointly.  Thanks in advance for any insight!

Best regards,

[uc%3fexport=download&id=1W3rEcChy0_E0cCfV5up02mkhwnL6eWIs&revid=0B4P5JoIHdbFaR29EbHlRWHFseFV5STZpSUVGeUNPWldkVDFVPQ]
Inge A. Fordham | Attorney
Fordham Law, PLLC
3218 Sixth Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98406
Office: (253) 348-2657 | Mobile: (206) 778-3131
www.fordhamlegal.com<http://www.fordhamlegal.com>

Confidential Communication: This email is sent to a recipient on behalf of an attorney/law firm, and is information intended exclusively for the individual, entity or company to which it is sent.  This communication may contain proprietary, privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be legally exempt from disclosure other than to the intended recipient.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or otherwise disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or other communication and delete all copies of the message.