[WSBAPT] "silent trust"

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Thu Oct 22 15:59:37 PDT 2020

Diane - I'll take a shot at this from the trustee's perspective.  As Trustee, we have to comply with RCW 11.98.072 which requires the trustee to keep qualified beneficiaries reasonably informed.  However, under RCW 11.97.010 a trustor can relieve the trustee from any or all of the duties, restrictions, and liabilities which would otherwise be imposed by chapters 11.95, 11.98, 11.100, and 11.104A RCW and RCW 11.106.020, or may alter or deny any or all of the privileges and powers conferred by those provisions; or may add duties, restrictions, liabilities, privileges, or powers to those imposed or granted by those provisions.

Note, the one duty that cannot be waived is the duty to act in good faith and with honest judgment.  Not surprising...   You may want to check with the proposed trustee on what is being waived and what is being required before executing the trust to make sure the trustee is comfortable with these provisions.  Some trustees want to produce accountings on a regular basis and include information you may wish excluded.  So, I would think a meeting up front would make sure the Trustor's intent and wishes are honored.

Regards,

Mark

Mark C. Vohr, Esq.
Ohana Fiduciary Corp.