[WSBAPT] Spouse died with HELOC and left interest in home to children

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Oct 16 08:39:48 PDT 2020

Nick's practical solution sounds reasonable to me; better to cooperate and find a compromise than duke it out in court.

Nick also raises a good point about the ouster rules under which a cotenant can become responsible for all expenses-but I do think ouster is harder to invoke than it sounds. I don't think it's sufficient for the kids (actually, each and every kid, they each have a separate interest) to make a pro-forma "I want to live there" demand when none of them have any actual intention of living there. And if the kids have reasonable access to the property and the spouse doesn't deny them that right to inspect, etc., to protect their property interest, then I don't think there is ouster. When there are multiple cotenants to a residential property, there has to be sole occupancy coupled with a very clear repudiation of cotenancy-a denial of the ownership interest, of any rights relating to the property-to reach ouster.

I think it just ends up being a fact-intensive argument, and the facts have to really show a clear intention to completely exclude a non-occupying cotenant.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.