[WSBAPT] Living Trust for Minors

Betsy Wurdeman BetsyW at law-hawks.com
Fri Oct 9 11:26:38 PDT 2020

Hello,

I have a client who (in his words) wants to create a trust for his children that he can deposit into monthly with the goal of them retaining "ownership" over the assets but with him remaining in control of how they use it and when.  For example, he expects that there will be $300,00 or $400,000 in each account by the time the children near college age and he wants them to be able to use the funds for select things that he approves of, such as for college, funding a start up company, etc.  He has 529 accounts started, but does not want to keep contributing to those and instead wants to create this trust for their benefit.  He wants to be able to restrict access for withdrawals that he doesn't approve of (for fancy cars, he mentioned), or if the child becomes financially incapacitated.  He wants them to have ultimate access and use of the funds when they turn 30.

Would anyone be willing to talk through this scenario with me and/or share RLT language that they think might be of assistance?  I appreciate any guidance you are willing to provide.  Thank you all!!

Elizabeth 'Betsy' Wurdeman
Of Counsel
Attorney and Counselor at Law

HAWKES LAW FIRM, P.S.
19944 Ballinger Way NE Ste #100
Shoreline, WA 98155
Tel. 206.367.5000     Fax. 206.367.4005
betsyw at law-hawks.com<mailto:elizabethj at law-hawks.com>
www.hawkeslawcenter.com<http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=4062&d=moij35NKybbYscINcjNcZ6oYTbcKvCTPok43NqorNQ&s=1714&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehawkeslawcenter%2ecom%2f>

NOTICE:  The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged.  It has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply email, or at (206) 367-5000, and destroy all copies of the original message.