[WSBAPT] Unsworn statements and self-authenticated wills

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Fri Nov 20 10:39:02 PST 2020

I maintain a Word document with the Washington and Idaho form of this, with citations for each so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel when I need to use this device (and especially after Washington “accidentally” disallowed this for wills at one point (which has been fixed); previously, 5.50.030(2)(e) disallowed this for wills, but (2)(e) is gone now, making this device work for will affidavits).

For what it’s worth, my models are below. I choose to preface the “I declare” with the citation to RCW 5.50 so that anyone reading it “somewhere out there in the universe” knows where to look for authority. (Also, note that Gen. Ct. R. Wash. 13 appears to still cite RCW 9A, but I don’t believe a judge would actually determine the “old” version of rule 13 would make the newer RCW 5.50 unavailable. All that said, I still personally choose to notarize will affidavits vs. use this device for will affidavits.) Best, Josh

Washington: Chapter 5.50 RCW; Gen. Ct. R. Wash. 13 [before July 1, 2019: RCW 9A.72.085; previously not valid for will execution under RCW 11.20.020 per 5.50.030(2)(e); In re Estate of Starkel, 134 Wash. App. 364 (2006)]

Pursuant to Chapter 5.50 RCW, I declare under penalty of perjury under the law of Washington that the foregoing is true and correct.

Date Signed                                                                                                                         Printed Name

Location (City/State; City/Country) Signed                                                                     Signature

Idaho: I.C. 9-1406; Idaho Rule of Civil Procedure 11.1 and 28

Pursuant to Idaho Code § 9-1406, I declare under penalty of perjury pursuant to the law of the State of Idaho that the foregoing is true and correct.

Date                                                                     [Name]