[WSBAPT] Unsworn statements and self-authenticated wills

jcrspicatto at gmail.com jcrspicatto at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 08:33:26 PST 2020

Effective July 1, 2021, RCW 9A.72.085 stops being effective.  This part of
the perjury statute authorizes the unsworn statement signed with the "I
declare under penalty of perjury ." language to be admitted as testimony in
court without notarization.  As this is simpler than notarizing a witness
statement to self-authenticate a will, I've relied on this perjury statute
for years and had no trouble getting such self-authentication clauses
accepted by Washington judges in probate proceedings.  Starting July 1st,
what happens?  Do self-authentication clauses authorized by RCW 11.20.020(2)
need to be notarized to be accepted as testimony, as was the case before
9A.72.085 was adopted?

Jenny Rydberg, JD
206-550-5491

"The vote is precious. It is almost sacred. It is the most powerful
non-violent tool we have in a democracy." - John Lewis