[WSBAPT] Estate Defendant question

Timothy Lehr timothy at stileslaw.com
Thu Nov 19 14:21:38 PST 2020

All,

I have a PI/Estate question and just hoping someone can point me to the proper RCW or have advice before I begin researching...

I'm plaintiff's counsel on a PI case involving motor vehicle accident. Unsuccessful settlement negotiations with insurance company has led us to file suit. Defendant driver passed away last year, after the accident occurred of course. We are still looking to settle for limits and not bring assets of Defendant's estate into the litigation. However, for service of the lawsuit, can anyone tell me how to serve on the Defendant's estate? Defendant's wife passed away a few years back and prior to the accident. I haven't done a search for heirs at this point. No probate has been opened for Defendant. Is service by publication proper here or does another statute apply?

Thanks!

Timothy C. Lehr
Attorney at Law
Stiles Law Inc., P.S.

p:   360.855.0131
e:   timothy at stileslaw.com<mailto:timothy at stileslaw.com>
w:  www.stileslaw.com<http://www.stileslaw.com>

NOTICE: The information contained in this email is proprietary and/or confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified to : (i) delete the email and all copies; (ii) not disclose, distribute or use the email in any manner; (iii) notify the sender immediately. Thank you.