[WSBAPT] Wrongful death and survival action

Donna Calf Robe DonnaC at brothershenderson.com
Wed Nov 18 11:20:21 PST 2020

I think we might be mixing whether the damages are included in the taxable estate for estate tax purposes and whether the damages are taxed as “income”.  They are not taxed as income, but I did find info online that pain and suffering are included in the taxable estate.  However, the rev rulings involved out of state cases where the damages for pain and suffering flowed through the estate.  In WA, since P&S do not pass through the estate, perhaps an argument can be made that they should not be included in the taxable estate. The IRS reasoning was that if the decedent had survived, he would have been entitled to those proceeds, unlike wrongful death proceeds which are claims belonging to the statutory beneficiaries and not the decedent.

Donna

Donna M. Calf Robe
Attorney
Brothers & Henderson, P.S.