[WSBAPT] Wrongful death and survival action

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue Nov 17 17:52:00 PST 2020

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

.
                               November 17, 2020

Philip,

I have concerns about taxes to the estate of the decedent ( if  IRS
decides this is not decedent's pain and suffering but future lost
earnings),
and potential income taxes to the beneficiaries say a distribution
directly to them is for their own pain and suffering.

If this were you, would you try to figure out for what a jury may have
awarded damages?
The defendants did not say what the settlement was for.

Is it reasonable to pay the net proceeds to the estate so that PR can
distribute (to her and her brother)?
They have received separate advice (they have not disclosed from
whom)  that proceeds they receive are not taxable.

I'm not as confident as whoever advised them.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101