[WSBAPT] UTMA to age 18 possible?

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Fri Nov 13 12:25:43 PST 2020

Couldn't the client sign a letter to the custodian in advance of the transfer indicating a preference that the property be distributed to the minor at age 18 as a discretionary distribution?  And couldn't the 18-year-old adult sign a release at the time of the distribution?  And couldn't the letter authorize the custodian to require such a release?
Phil Jones
Portland, OR

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP