[WSBAPT] caregiver child scenario

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Thu Nov 12 16:38:10 PST 2020

Sharon:
I think if you break this down, your client has an unjust enrichment claim that she could pursue against mom for care services, as such at a minimum the assets of the revocable living trust would be exposed to satisfy the claim.  As such, the current trustee of the RLT could enter into an agreement to satisfy this claim for past services and also contract for future services.  It is unclear from your facts whether the irrevocable trust is a first party self-settled trust that would not have any creditor protection under Washington law, but if it is, the same would hold true.  I also think that the trustee of the irrevocable trust (even if it has creditor protection) may want to ensure that its beneficiary is not sued, and therefore, could be willing to settle the claim for past work and enter into a contract for future work.  Of course, that trustee of the irrev. trust is going to want remainder beneficiaries to sign off on this action.  Therefore, you wouldn't have to worry about distributing principal and income outside the terms of the trust, but rather do it for the benefit of the beneficiary to protect the beneficiary.

Keep in mind the rules for Medicaid and requirement of contemporaneous payment of a family caregiver if Medicaid is anywhere on the horizon, but your post suggests that is not the case.

I agree that you cannot represent mom.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
P.O. Box 1689