[WSBAPT] Community Property Agreement and Quitclaim

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Nov 10 10:01:59 PST 2020

So: Client and Spouse had a CPA, then client quitclaimed a property interest to Spouse, and then Spouse died? And the property is actually co-owned by Spouse and some other individuals, and now Client as surviving spouse wants to transfer the interest to the other co-owners?

It sounds like the question is, who is the grantor for the deed to the co-owners: (A) the Client who got title back under the CPA, or (B) the Spouse's Estate, because the quitclaim deed converted the property to Spouse's separate property.

I don't have a firm answer, but it occurs to me that the exact language of the CPA might matter. If it says anything about converting all property to community property at the time of death, that might reverse the effect of the quitclaim deed. On the other hand, if the quitclaim deed has an after-acquired title clause, that might nullify even the possible CPA effect. I don't know which would take priority, if a CPA's convert-to-community-property clause is in conflict with a deed's after-acquired title clause.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.