[WSBAPT] Valuation of Real Property Owned by an Estate

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Wed Nov 4 13:22:40 PST 2020

Inge:

No I don’t think that you are missing anything. I understand what you are saying. If the only way to distribute the estate is to sell the property and the granddaughter can’t “cash out” the other beneficiaries’ shares, then that is how it will work out. I just like to point out that existing loans don’t have to be “assumed” by the person who inherits or that they have to apply for a new loan or refinance. They can continue to pay on the loan that is in place.

How to divide an estate when the home is the majority asset, to be shared by many beneficiaries is separate from that question. I have an estate where the other beneficiaries are willing to be paid by the occupying beneficiary over time and we are doing a Real Estate Contract with a Fulfillment Deed in Escrow so the occupant will be paying the “old” mortgage and the additional second mortgage to the other beneficiaries. When their shares are paid off (we are using a shorter term on the contract), the Fulfillment Deed gets filed. Meanwhile the original mortgage remains in place.

Just