[WSBAPT] Valuation of Real Property Owned by an Estate

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Tue Nov 3 15:12:27 PST 2020

Inge:
My 2 cents.

I would get a current market analysis (or broker’s opinion of value) for the realtor (some do it for free others charge $50-$150) and then have the PR communicate with the other heirs to see if there is any disagreement with regard to value.  Saves the cost of a formal appraisal if there is no dispute based upon the CMA/Broker’s Opinion.  I would use current value for the purposes of distribution rather than date of death value.  No different than $100000 sitting in the estate account at death, and then being worth $100,500 at time of distribution.

Note: Not a big fan of the PR leaving decedent’s loan in place for decedent’s granddaughter.  Make sure you send NTC to lender and make sure granddaughter provides proof of homeowner insurance to provide as much protection to PR as possible.  I would say get an indemnity, but given that granddaughter has poor credit, may not be worth anything.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.