[WSBAPT] Testamentary Special Needs Trust Question

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Tue Nov 3 14:01:42 PST 2020

Brent – I’ll take a shot at this.  I think the general answer is no – as I believe you suspect.  One thing worth checking is the successor trustee language. Sometimes the trust allows the acting trustee to select their successor with person B only being appointed if A fails to do so.  Without that language, person A simply does not have the authority to decide who take over.

Your option B is certainly available.  Professional trustees will contract with fiduciaries to do the work (accountings, bill paying, tracking, etc.) but person A stays the fiduciary.   Certainly can work.  Then person A bides their time to a point where, perhaps, the opportunity to select a successor trustee avails itself.

Regards,

Mark

Mark C. Vohr, Esq.
Ohana Fiduciary Corp.