[WSBAPT] US Savings Bonds in Probate

J A Cyphers jacyphers at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:58:22 PDT 2020

Look at the US savings bond website.  Procedure should be to send in wife
death certificate, husband death certificate & Letters Testamentary.  BUT I
am not at all sure that they can be reissued to the estate vs being cashed
in.  If they have to be cashed in, there is most likely a lot of income
that will be taxed.  So plan out the cashing in so that the income comes
into AND GOES OUT OF the estate to the heirs in the same tax year.
Otherwise you could have some very high estate income taxes.

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 3:51 PM Timothy Lehr <timothy at stileslaw.com> wrote:

> All,
>

> I have yet to deal with this issue…
>

> In a probate, there are a number of US Savings Bonds made out to the
> decedent (husband) OR his wife. Wife predeceased husband and assets passed
> via trust without probate. Now, probate is open for husband. Is there
> simple process to go through to have the proper government entity re-issue
> the bonds to the estate? Is a probate court order required? An applicable
> RCW? Value of the bonds exceeds $100k.
>

> I’ve never dealt with these before in a probate so I’m just looking for
> guidance or advice from someone who has or knows the process.
>

> Thanks!
>

> *Timothy C. Lehr*
>
> Attorney at Law
>
> Stiles Law Inc., P.S.
>

> p:   360.855.0131
>
> e:   timothy at stileslaw.com
>
> w:  www.stileslaw.com
>

> *NOTICE*: The information contained in this email is proprietary and/or
> confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient
> of this communication, you are hereby notified to : (i) delete the email
> and all copies; (ii) not disclose, distribute or use the email in any
> manner; (iii) notify the sender immediately. Thank you.
>

> ------------------------------
> [image: AVG logo] <https://www.avg.com/internet-security>

> www.avg.com <https://www.avg.com/internet-security>
>
> <#m_-8697784337503108247_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
> others.***

Jackie Cyphers
Jeannette A. Cyphers, Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 908