[WSBAPT] large gifts of appreciated stock to charities in estate planning

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Fri May 15 16:56:41 PDT 2020

Susan,

Gifts under $15,000 per person per year are not reported anywhere and don’t do anything except reduce the giver’s “estate-taxable estate” (and increase the recipient’s “estate-taxable estate”). Neither side of the gift pays tax in Washington or federally. A married couple can give $150,000/year to their child, his/her spouse, and their 3 lovely children (i.e., 5 recipients total, at $30,000/each/year) – no reporting anywhere; doesn’t reduce anybody’s estate tax exemption; but reduces the giving couple’s “estate-taxable estate” by $150k/year.

Gifts over $15,000 per person per year are “reportable” and are reported on the giving party’s federal gift tax return, but still are not taxable to either side of the gift . . . unless/until the giving party’s reportable gifts exceed the current (approximately) $11 million lifetime exemption amount. (This means $22 million for a married couple . . . at least through 2025 under current federal law.)

But even the “reportable” gifts are NOT relevant to Washington estate tax in the way you are thinking. The gifts do not come back into the giver’s Washington “estate-taxable estate” (or further reduce it) after the giver’s death. The money simply isn’t “in” the giver’s estate-taxable estate, because it was gifted before death.

So likely your client’s situation is much easier than you may be expecting, provided the client is comfortable doing something like giving the equivalent of the then-current Washington exemption amount to her relatives and friends – and giving the balance to qualified charities. Nobody will pay any estate tax and (unless taxable IRAs are involved) nobody will pay income tax. And if there are taxable IRAs involved, by all means use those to fund the charitable gifts at her death, either by standard or custom IRA designations filed with the IRA custodian.

I hope this helps. All my best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street