[WSBAPT] bank account taken upon death to pay for loan from bank

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Tue May 12 09:55:44 PDT 2020

I am thinking that this must be just one of many gaps in my understandings of the probate code.  For the first time in many years, I have a probate where the bank took all of the money in the accounts to pay for a loan that was outstanding. They base this on a contract with the decedent that lets them do this, the fine print in the original agreements. But that is a claim based on a contract that the decedent entered into prior to death. They did not file a creditor’s claim even though I sent them a 30-day ascertainable creditor’s notice.

What am I missing? Shouldn’t they have to file a creditor’s claim? And if they didn’t, then don’t they have to give the $$ back?

Thanks, I look forward to being educated.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss

Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP

236 West Birch Street