[WSBAPT] GoFundme and estates

Jill H. Sasser Jill.Sasser at landerholm.com
Mon May 11 14:40:50 PDT 2020

I see that Dalynne posted something on this, also.

I think the beneficiary or the representative of the beneficiary can file suit against the Organizer directly for the funds in certain circumstances (e.g. misuse of funds).  I think the interest belongs to the beneficiary only.

However, if the beneficiary is deceased, and the fundraising was directly for the estate and/or for the expenses of death/burial (as in Marcus’s case below), etc. then I think the Estate would have an interest if the Organizer is misusing the funds.

Jill H. Sasser | Attorney at Law
Landerholm P.S.
805 Broadway Street, Suite 1000
P.O. Box 1086