[WSBAPT] Estate Sale Contract

Amy Goertz amyjgoertz at icloud.com
Sat May 2 06:04:24 PDT 2020

Good morning all,

In September, my client signed a short one-page contract to have an estate sale at her parent’s home through a company she had used before. The contract allows the company to cancel the sale at any time, but has no similar provision for the client to cancel. The client's family plans to move into the house after the sale. Due to some issues on both sides (but mostly my client) the sale was delayed in the Fall and is now on perma-hold with the current quarantine situation. During this time, the company has had keys to access the property and have been coming in and out of the house reviewing and pricing items. They indicate they have spent 80 hours doing so. Recently, my client left a personal item at the house and it disappeared. The company denied taking it but after several heated exchanges, the item mysteriously re-appeared at the house. Now my client has lost faith in the company, is frustrated with the indefinite delay due to the corona virus, and wants desperately to move into the house. Any thoughts on getting her out of this contract?

Thanks in advance -

Amy J. Goertz, J.D.
Goertz & Lambrecht PLLC
amyjgoertz at icloud.com <mailto:amyjgoertz at icloud.com>