[WSBAPT] attorneys are officers of the court--therefore essential

Susan Donahue sdonahue at sdonahuelaw.com
Fri Mar 27 12:08:41 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I have someone who wants to execute his will.  So, I'm faced with the actual
situation now.  On page 10 of the list of "Essential Critical Infrastructure
Workers' issued by Governor Inslee on March 23, 2020, "The Courts,
consistent with direction from the Washington State Chief Justice" are
listed as part of the "essential workforce".  As an attorney, I am an
officer of the court, therefore, I argue, I can conduct a will signing if
the participants always stay 6' away from one another by approaching a table
outside on my office's porch one at a time to sign, with the table wiped
down and the pen wiped down, etc.

Has anyone figured out a way to conduct will signings under these
conditions?  Is my argument too novel?  If I did this, could I be in
violation of the governor's order?

I know this has been discussed but in previous threads the issue of
notarizing was the issue-not the issue of witnessing a will.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you.

Susan Donahue

Law Office of Susan Donahue