[WSBAPT] Affidavit of Lack of Probate - Dealing with Separate Real Property

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Mar 6 14:17:53 PST 2020

In theory, yes, but I read Jeff's scenario as indicating that the house was genuinely the separate property of the decedent. If it is separate property, then the court in a CIR case has no jurisdiction to affect its ownership. The court in a CIR case only has jurisdiction over property that is "community-like," as in "would be considered community property under the rules of characterization if the parties had been married." The court in the CIR case divides "community-like" property between the parties in a fair and equitable fashion, but leaves separate property alone.

I probably should have specified that in my earlier answer, that I was assuming the house was genuinely separate property and there was no possible community-like interest. Separate property of a CIR partner can only pass to the other partner via Will, as the surviving partner has no legal inheritance rights. Community-like property is divided between the decedent and surviving partner as may be fair and equitable, which is not inheritance but rather a determination as to what belongs to the estate and what belongs to the survivor.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC