[WSBAPT] Will in safe deposit box

steve mcconnell smcconnelllaw at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:38:57 PDT 2020

A colleague drafted a Will for an elderly gentleman who was estranged from his family and had no one to serve as his personal representative. I was asked to serve and I agreed to do so. I have now learned that the gentleman may have died as far back as two months ago but that his body was only recently found in his condominium. The King County coroner is currently conducting an autopsy.

I do not have the original or a signed copy of his Will. Rather, I only have an unsigned conformed copy. We believe that his will is either in a safety deposit box at a local Bank of America branch or in the locked storage area in his condominium building. I do not, however, have the key to either the box or the storage area. If anyone has a form motion and order that I can crib from granting me the authority to access the safe deposit box and/or the storage area and directing the bank and/or condominium manager to provide me with access I would very much appreciate it if you would provide that to me. Also, any suggestion as to how I can initiate a proceeding so that I can bring my motion without first petitioning for probate would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Steven M. McConnell
Attorney at Law
144 Railroad Ave., Suite 308