[WSBAPT] trust protector

Derek Jensen derek at jensenestatelaw.com
Wed Jun 3 11:14:24 PDT 2020

Roger,

It is most common for me to use them for tax issues in longer-term or specialty irrevocable trusts.

However, they can be used in many situations, to list a few:

  *   Increased peace of mind - if the grantor can't act due to incapacity or death - the trust protector can.
  *   More flexibility and confidence - limitations in the trust, state law, or tax code may prevent the grantor from changing the trust to, for example, change the trustee or alter the distribution provisions for a beneficiary.
  *   Long-term protection of the trust assets - circumstances change, how do we address the fact that the beneficiary in a stable marriage may be going through a divorce? Other issues that could be addressed, the incapacity of a beneficiary, extravagant spending, or lawsuits.
  *   Oversight and support of the trustee - as Mark described.
  *   Easier resolution of disputes - between co-trustees, a trustee and a beneficiary, or between beneficiaries.
  *   As an alternative to TEDRA for modifications and amendments.

Sincerely,

Derek W. Jensen, JD, LLM
Managing Attorney

[New Logo.tif]