[WSBAPT] [ADV] Re: Special Notice - Estate tax treatment of real property owned by business entities

Thomas M. Culbertson tculbertson at lukins.com
Mon Jun 1 10:16:39 PDT 2020

Regarding the history of the business purpose test, DOR brought this to the WSBA Estate & Gift Tax Committee as a trial balloon quite a few years ago.  The response from the Committee of overwhelmingly negative—there is simply no authority in the statute for such a test, and DOR would lose revenue from all the Washington decedents with non-business LLCs holding recreational property in other states (around here, primarily Idaho lake homes).  DOR representatives seemed never to have thought of that.  The idea seemed dead for maybe a year or two, but then the business purpose test showed up in the instructions to the WA estate tax return.  Depending upon how cynical you are, you might think DOR decided they wouldn’t put the test in a WAC because there was no legal authority to do so, but they could quietly slip it into instructions to a form and then use it when they thought it advantageous. My understanding is that the issue came up again at an E&GT Committee meeting within the last year or so, the DOR rep at the meeting (who seems to have a better understanding of the estate tax than some of her predecessors) said she would look into it, and out came this notice.  I haven’t been as active on the E&GT Committee lately as I once was, so someone who is pretty active now may correct me on the more recent history.

THOMAS M. CULBERTSON  I  Lukins & Annis, PS
717 W. Sprague Ave, Suite 1600, Spokane, WA 99201
(509) 455-9555  I  fax (509) 363-2500  I  tculbertson at lukins.com<mailto:tculbertson at lukins.com>