[WSBAPT] advancement

Lewis, Amy C. ALewis at Eisenhowerlaw.com
Fri Jul 31 12:52:09 PDT 2020

This raises a good drafting tip – when I include these provisions on the front end, I specify that the debt should be taken into account regardless of whether it is legally enforceable at the time of death.

Amy Lewis, Attorney

[cid:Logo_fa335a1d-9f24-4802-a3dd-b58f259e3c98.png]

1201 Pacific Avenue, Suite 1200 | Tacoma, WA 98402
phone 253.572.4500 | fax 253.272.5732 | www.eisenhowerlaw.com<http://www.eisenhowerlaw.com/>
From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Eric Nelsen
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 12:46 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] advancement

I agree with Terry, at least with regard to a debt that was enforceable but is now barred by statute of limitations. The S/L only bars an affirmative suit to enforce the debt; it does not prevent an Estate from deducting the debt owed from an inheritance.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.