[WSBAPT] Residency and representation question

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Thu Jul 30 16:51:13 PDT 2020

If they are likely to be exposed to the Washington (and Oregon) estate tax, they might be better off using LLCs, rather than trusts.  The recently-announced change in the WA Dept. of Revenue policy deals with LLCs, not trusts, as I understand it.  So now Oregon and Washington both honor LLCs as intangible assets for purposes of the fractional estate tax formula.  And Alaska has no estate tax.
I express no opinion on where their legal residence is.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR