[WSBAPT] PR Duty to Respond to Potential Creditors?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Jul 15 17:29:25 PDT 2020

I don't know of any WA authority on the scope of a PR's duty to creditors, beyond the general duty to find the "reasonably ascertainable" ones and send them the appropriate notice, if the notice process is being done. Since even the notice process is voluntary now, I would say that keeps the PR's duties to actually seek out claimants to a minimum.

Once a creditor is identified, the PR definitely has a duty to treat them equally with other creditors, and get them paid in accordance with the order of priority of debt set out by statute.

Occasionally I have seen the idea that the PR's power to reject a claim can be used tactically to try to shed the debt. I think the PR has a fiduciary duty to only reject a debt if there is a colorable defense to it-meet the CR 11 test for having a good faith basis in fact and law or good faith extension or modification of existing law. If the debt appears legitimate, the creditor claim appears to meet the requirements and is timely, I think it shouldn't be rejected.

On the question of weighing a PR's duty to the beneficiaries against the PR's duty to creditors where they might appear to conflict, I don't think there is any case law. If a PR does something to "help" a creditor file their claim, or give them notice beyond what the statute requires, I think that raises the issue of whether that is injuring the beneficiaries. While I don't know of any case law, I think the proper balance would be to give the PR wide discretion to deal with creditors, and make good faith decisions about how to balance the risks and costs of litigation versus compromising or simply paying claimants in full, or even keeping things swift and efficient by providing claim forms and envelopes for creditors to get their claims filed. The PR can take various actions that arguably favor the beneficiaries, or arguably favor a creditor or creditors. So long as there is a good faith basis for it, I think it should not violate a fiduciary duty to either category. But again-no case law I know of.

Personally, in general I think a PR just needs to obey the statute in sending notice to reasonably ascertainable creditors, and leave it at that. No duty to respond to a potential claimant's request for more information, no duty to provide a potential claimant with decedent's SSN or DOB or other identifying information. If a claim is filed, the PR can ask for more information before deciding to accept or reject, and can reject if there is a CR 11 basis for doing so. How aggressively the PR wants to push that line is up to the client; I just advise on the possibilities and make a recommendation on best practice.

Other scenarios: What if PR is surviving spouse and wants to file for family support? That really messes with the creditors. I think a surviving spouse's duty as PR to Estate creditors can't be construed in a way that would limit their statutory right to a family support award. Maybe the PR needs separate counsel for the petition in some unusual circumstances, but in general I think not.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.