[WSBAPT] PR Duty to Respond to Potential Creditors?

Felicia Value felicia at skagitprobate.com
Wed Jul 15 08:44:01 PDT 2020

I agree with Roger.  The creditor is given mechanisms under the law to
bring their claims.  The responsibility to use those mechanisms is
squarely on them.  Although most attorneys I know have a desire to be
helpful and courteous to all,  I figure that "helping" the creditor of
an estate I represent is working against my own client's interests.  I
would not respond at all.

Regards,

Felicia

On 7/14/2020 6:43 PM, Nicholas Pleasants wrote:

> Hello fellow probate practitioners,
>
> I have a couple probate hypotheticals for consideration.
>
> First situation: Let’s say a creditor was provided Notice to
> Creditors, the 4-months since publication has passed and the 30-days
> from delivery to creditor has passed. Now creditor sends a letter
> asking for a copy of the Notice to Creditors. I don’t want to restart
> the RCW 11.40.030 clock, giving them another month to respond. Does PR
> have a duty to respond to this potential creditor at all?
>
> Second situation: Let’s say decedent may have been in a meretricious
> relationship. Is the non-spouse partner entitled to any notice of the
> probate? Let’s say non-spouse is not mentioned in the Will at all, not
> a co-owner of decedent’s real property, but possibly there is some
> tangible personal property owned together. How about notice to
> creditors as a potential claimant? Obviously PR does not want to
> encourage potential claimant, and only wants to provide notice as
> strictly required by statute. Also wondering whether non-spouse
> partner has any right to request special notice?
>
> I realize that second situation is a bit trickier, as the interplay
> between Committed Intimate Relationship doctrine and Probate is
> interesting. I am curious from a notice standpoint what responses you
> might advise PR to give in these situations. Thanks in advance for any
> experience you can share.
>
> Best,
>
> Nick
>
> *Nicholas Pleasants*
>
> Pleasants Law Firm, P.S.
> 2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
> Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
> (425) 615-7070 tel/fax
> nick at pleasantslaw.com <mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
>
> The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and
> is confidential information intended only for the use of the
> recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
> intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of
> this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
> sender immediately and destroy the original message and all
> attachments from your electronic files.

PLEASE NOTE! As of August 1,  2019,  my office has MOVED to 413 Morris St. in La Conner.

Felicia Value
Attorney at Law
PO Box 578/413 Morris Street
La Conner,  WA 98257
(360) 466-2088
Felicia at skagitprobate.com

IMPORTANT:
1.  This office does not accept service of pleadings or process service by e-mail or fax except with the express prior permission of the intended recipient.
2.  This email address is not monitored at all times. If your matter is urgent, please phone my office.
3.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not encrypted and not secure.
4.  This email may contain confidential material protected by attorney/client privilege, and is intended for use solely by the above referenced recipient. Any review, copying, printing, disclosure, distribution, or other use is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the named recipient, or may have received this email in error, please reply to sender and delete the copy you received.
5.  This message does not provide any legal advice, or imply an attorney-client relationship, and does not contain the signature of the sender or any other party.  You are not a client of this law firm unless you have paid a retainer and signed an attorney/client agreement for representation on a particular matter.