[WSBAPT] Short Term Rental Service - Owner Unable to Penetrate Corporate Bureaucracy

Matt Yates matt at yatesmarshall.com
Mon Jul 6 11:27:46 PDT 2020

My client has listed a property or properties with VRBO for approximately five years now and is a "premier partner" with VRBO under its applicable terms and conditions on its website.  Recently, and I am sure that this applies to many, VRBO has significantly stretched out the payment times.  What is supposed to be a 7-10 day turnaround from VRBO (who takes payment from short term lessee) to owner is now much longer.  In client's words "VRBO is taking the payments guests are providing at time of reservation and holding them in many cases for months when our agreement and what we signed up for provides for us to receive our portion of the payment within 7 to 10 working days."

Client indicates that VRBO has said that it is doing this as a result of the impacts of COVID but client suspects that VRBO is using the monies owed to owners to fund its ongoing operations while owners struggle to continue paying all of the expenses associated with the properties such as mortgage, HOA, utilities, maintenance, etc.  My quick review of the VRBO Ts and Cs did not show a definite payment turnaround/cycle time.   Admittedly, I did not spend much time with it at all since client was unwilling to spend much if any on it right now.

Anybody else have clients frustrated with the short-term rental services and, if so, have you found any worthwhile solutions?  My initial advice to client was to escalate beyond the Ts and Cs process but he indicates that VRBO's response equates to an email about how VRBO will get back to him and he never hears back from anyone.

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew D. Yates
Attorney at Law