[WSBAPT] Medicaid lien

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Thu Jul 2 16:56:39 PDT 2020

Diane,

The general rule is that the lien is paid at the time of transfer, like any other lien.

One exception is if the Medicaid recipient is still alive. Then the lien would be removed for sale, and if a new home was purchased, the lien could be placed on that home.

Another exception is if there is a surviving spouse. Medicaid cannot enforce the estate recovery while the spouse is alive. If the surviving spouse wants to sell, they will remove the lien.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D65091.C06C6EA0]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

For the latest information regarding firm operations and to see precautions we are taking in light of the Coronavirus crisis please visit our firm's website, www.WestSeattleLaw.com<http://www.WestSeattleLaw.com>.
If I am sick, I will stay home, I ask you to do the same.

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.