[WSBAPT] Minor Child Own Property Issue

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Jan 28 15:24:43 PST 2020

Real property? It's possible to do a Uniform Transfers to Minors Act transfer of real property, per RCW 11.114.090(1)(e)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.114&full=true#11.114.090>.

But I've never done that, and honestly I don't know what happens at that point-who pays property taxes, insurance, repairs and maintenance, if there are no funds available? The court would need to make arrangements for the minor's inheritance funds to be used to maintain the house.

Seems to me that real estate is just one kind of investment in the portfolio of assets going to the child. Someone-a Guardian ad Litem perhaps-needs to figure out whether it's worth it to hold on to the real estate, or better to sell and invest the proceeds. The expense of upkeep of real property might be too much.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC