[WSBAPT] Listing Heirs at law in Probate Petition?

Tara M. Roberts pugetsoundlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 17:32:43 PST 2020

You don’t have to give prior notice of the hearing on the petition to appoint the PR or for NPs when the PR is named in the will (unless the named PR is not the surviving spouse).

But you definitely have to give them Notice of Appointment within 20 days after the PR’s appointment by the court.

RCW 11.28.237 provides notice to “each heir, legatee and devisee of the estate”

RCW 11.02.002(6) defines “heirs” as “those persons, including the surviving spouse or surviving domestic partner, who are entitled under the statutes of intestate succession to the real and personal property of a decedent on the decedent's death intestate”

It also ensures that the statute of limitations starts to run on any will contest.

Naming the heirs at law in the initial petition for Letters Testamentary is not strictly required by statute.  However, RCW 11.28.110 does require the heirs at law to be named for a petition for letters of administration.  Since prior notice of the petition and hearing on Letters Testamentary isn’t required, then there is no harm in being transparent and getting the salient facts established.  So, my standard practice is to name the kids, addresses, their ages/birthdates or that they are adult age, and that their anticipated distributive share is “none” under the will.  This also helps tick the box for the commissioner that a GAL for Minors isn’t an issue and helps everything to just move along smoothly.

Tara M. Roberts

Puget Sound Law pllc

152 3rd Ave S Ste 107

Edmonds, WA 98020

Phone 206-285-3361

 <mailto:roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com> roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message and any copies you may have.  Thank you.

Access to the online document sharing portal is easy using the link provided. Click on it or copy & paste into your browser. There is no need to create a login.  The portal is secured and provides 256 bit AES encryption. However, to maintain security, you should not share the link with anyone that does not require access.  **Anyone with the link can access the folder.**  If you suspect that the link has been compromised or someone that is not authorized may have access, then please contact me immediately and steps will be taken to secure the content and restrict access. If you have trouble with accessing your client folder let me know. Thank you.