[WSBAPT] Using TEDRA to divert funds from overfunded credit shelter trust to fund QTIP trust

John J. Sullivan, Esq. sullaw at comcast.net
Sat Jan 18 09:00:18 PST 2020

The question requires a serious development of all the facts and circumstances. Do most clients really intend to fund a Credit Shelter Trust to the maximum allowed under federal law, for example, or are they struggling to follow our explanation at the time that this is the right design to minimize federal and state estate taxes on both estates while deferring them on the first (in almost all cases)? If the current motivation is to secure a second step up in basis, I would be less likely to consider that a mistake has occurred. But here it sounds like there is an old, or perhaps mistaken (by the attorney) design that fails to consider the differential between federal and WA estate tax exemptions.

We don’t know all the facts. Perhaps the attorney actually made a mistake? I just think these possibilities need to be considered.

Best regards,

JOHN J. SULLIVAN,
ATTORNEY

LYONS | SULLIVAN
10655 NE 4TH STREET, SUITE 704
BELLEVUE, WA 98004
425·451·2400 TEL 425-451-7385 FAX
WWW.DLJSLAW.COM <http://WWW.DLJSLAW.COM>

Confidentiality Notice

This email transmission is intended only for the addressee named above. It contains information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from use and disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, or dissemination of this transmission or the taking of any action in reliance on its contents or other use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy the original and notify us by telephone immediately. Thank you for your cooperation