[WSBAPT] Beneficiary has Disappeared

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Jan 16 11:15:00 PST 2020

Unclaimed property is a possibility though you have to hold onto it for 3 years first. RCW 63.29.020(1)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=63.29&full=true#63.29.020>; RCW 63.29.120<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=63.29&full=true#63.29.120>.

If the amount justifies it, you also could start an estate of absentee per Ch. 11.80 RCW<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.80&full=true>. Under those provisions you could distribute that beneficiary's share to a trustee for that beneficiary alone, in order to complete final distribution of your existing trust. Then, that beneficiary's share would bear its own expenses going forward.

One other possibility - file a petition with the court in regard to your existing trust, asking for authority to distribute in full to all other beneficiaries, and court authorization to proceed with only the missing beneficiary's share bearing all further costs and expenses. I think this is kind of a shorthand version of the estate of absentee. You could get creative with this, and ask the court for explicit authority to decide whether to dump the property after three years to unclaimed property, or open an absentee estate, or something else that seems like a reasonable method of preserving the assets for the beneficiary.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC