[WSBAPT] half sister an heir by descent?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Feb 28 10:56:58 PST 2020

My interpretation of the situation for half-bloods is that they are treated the same as a whole-blood sibling, except as to specific property that the decedent owned at time of death that the decedent had inherited from the other bloodline.

In your case, if decedent owns, for example, a house that he inherited from his dad, that house would not go to the half-sister, but would go only to the brother.

Cribbing from some WSBA subcommittee work I participated in with some other attorneys 5-6 years ago, regarding the half-blood statute:

RCW 11.04.035 also is called the "ancestral property" statute. Ancestral property exists where "the inheritance comes to the intestate by descent, devise, or gift from one of his ancestors." Estate of Little, 106 Wn.2d 269, 285, 721 P.2d 950 (1986). Jurisdictions differ on which ancestor is of import in the analysis - the ancestor from whom the decedent received the property, or the original ancestor who acquired the property (the "first purchaser"). Washington courts have aligned with the majority of jurisdictions rejecting the "first purchaser" doctrine, and have held that "the ancestor whose blood is to be considered is the one from whom the property immediately came to the intestate." Little at 278. Where property is identifiable as ancestral property, the current statute operates to exclude half-bloods from intestate inheritance. Id. at 285. Jurisdictions differ on which ancestor is of import in the analysis - the ancestor from whom the decedent received the property, or the original ancestor who acquired the property (the "first purchaser"). Washington courts have aligned with the majority of jurisdictions rejecting the "first purchaser" doctrine, and have held that "the ancestor whose blood is to be considered is the one from whom the property immediately came to the intestate." Id. at 278 . Where property is identifiable as ancestral property, the current statute operates to exclude half-bloods from intestate inheritance.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC