[WSBAPT] Surviving Spouse of Intestate Heir signing on behalf of estate without probate

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Thu Feb 6 11:44:33 PST 2020

Hi,
I don’t see why you would need a disclaimer or an Indiana probate.
At this point, it appears that the decedent’s brother-in-law – who is entitled to inherit the decedent’s estate under Washington and Indiana law – is willing to allow the decedent’s surviving partner to inherit.
The simplest approach would be for the BIL to gift the decedent’s estate to the survivor. The only hiccup I see is that the BIL might be hesitant to file a Form 709 with the IRS – which would be required if the inheritance is valued at more than $15,000. (In addition, there could potentially be unanticipated Indiana inheritance/gifting issues).
If the BIL objects to filing a 709, I would likely draft a TEDRA in which BIL – in light of the potential litigation over the status of assets, etc., and the resulting uncertain value of his inheritance – assigns his interest in the estate to the survivor, thereby reducing the estate’s value for gift tax purposes.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
www.cairn-law.com<http://www.cairn-law.com/>