[WSBAPT] Original Wills among decedent's client files

Kate Szurek kate at skagitlaw.com
Wed Dec 23 15:28:39 PST 2020

We are handling the probate of a deceased attorney.  Among the files and records of his law firm were five original Wills, all dated in the early 80s.  Although the Wills were given to us, they were not accompanied by any client files, as the firm went under receivership and was eventually purchased by decedent's associates.

My question is what responsibility does the PR have relative to these original Wills.  All suspect that most, if not all, are Wills of decedent's relatives and friends (all of whom will know he is deceased), as his practice focused on condo law.  We have no information readily available to us regarding the address or location of any of the testators/testatrices.

I will also check with WSBA - so just coming to the listserv to see what experience anyone might have had with this kind of situation.

Thanking you in advance for any insights!

Kate

Kate Szurek, J.D., LL.M. (in Taxation)
kate at skagitlaw.com<mailto:kate at skagitlaw.com>

[SkagitLaw_Signature (2)]
Skagit Law Group, PLLC
P.O. Box 336 / 227 Freeway Drive, Suite B
Mount Vernon, WA  98273
360.336.1000
360.336.6690 (fax)
http://www.skagitlaw.com<http://www.skagitlaw.com/>