[WSBAPT] Questions re notary blocks for trust

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:13:22 PST 2020

I agree with Joshua. I think so long as you are having the trustmaker sign
as the trustmaker and trustee and the son-in-law as the co-trustee, there
are no issues with one notary block so long as everyone is properly
identified with their roles/capacity in that notary block. If you do
separate blocks, they can definitely be on separate pages. You can use
dashes at the bottom of the pages to show continuity as well as page x of y
format for the page numbers and/or have the trustmaker initial the pages if
you are concerned. Sometimes I include the total number of pages in the
notary block as well if the circumstances warrant it. However, similar to
Joshua, I have not had anyone raise any issues with notary blocks being on
separate pages etc. This often happens in deed signings as well.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 2:07 PM Joshua McKarcher <josh at mckarcherlaw.com>
wrote:

> Suzanne,
>

> I’m unaware of any rule that requires a notary block (or certificate) to
> be on the same page as the signature acknowledged. Indeed, a notary
> certificate would ordinarily (or “in the old days”) be affixed to the
> document containing the acknowledged signature. I personally use Word’s
> “Keep With Next” paragraph formatting to keep the lines of an entire notary
> block (from STATE OF through line containing notary expiration date below
> signature) “together” on the same page. But for that notary block to be on
> the page following the signer’s signature is unexceptional to me. I’ve
> never had even a Notorious Big Bank give me trouble on that one.
>

> Also, given the relationship of the two parties, I personally would have
> them sign separate signature lines and notarize their signatures in
> separate notary blocks. I don’t know that a notary block is “invalid” if
> you tried to put them both in one block, but you’d have to very careful to
> recite exactly the capacity in which each is signing (“by, as, of,”
> following the lovely short form acknowledgement). And, besides that, it
> would just strike me as odd visually to have a person and her son-in-law in
> one notary block, as I ordinarily would only do that for a married couple
> (or “maybe” two representatives of the same entity signing in
> straightforward representative capacities, I suppose).
>

> Else, it seems perfectly fine to set it up for grantor to sign (presumably
> as both grantor and co-trustee), then co-trustee to sign as co-trustee; and
> then to have successive notary blocks for one and then the other, even if
> one or both is on the page following signatures.
>

> I hope that helps. All the best, Josh
>

> Joshua D. McKarcher
>
> McKarcher Law PLLC
>
> 537 6th Street
>
> Clarkston, WA 99403
>
> (509) 758-3345
>
> (509) 758-3314 (fax)
>
> josh at mckarcherlaw.com
>
> www.mckarcherlaw.com

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible)*

*Email: SM at LawOfficesofSM.com*

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.