[WSBAPT] Pet Question

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Sat Dec 19 14:19:11 PST 2020

I haven’t done this but I think I might give the person a power of appointment to designate who is to receive the animal. The animal is property of the estate so the person needs authority to give it to someone. Alternatively, the will could instruct the executor to give the animal to whomever the person designates. Maybe that’s the same thing?

As for the monetary gift, I think I would quiz the client further. Ask them about trust—they clearly care about their animals and must trust the person to do the right thing. So ask the client to imagine a scenario where that person did their best but couldn’t find a good home—what is that person supposed to do in that case? Do they still trust that person to do something the client would want (which is presumably take the animal in themselves or something rather than euthanizing). After spending some time exploring and discussing the full level of trust that the client has in the person, you might suggest making the monetary gift completely independent of the pet issue—don’t tie them together at all. Why do that if the client trusts the person so much? Just give them the money and trust they’ll take care of the animal.

On the other hand, if the client realizes that they’re thinking of the money as an incentive for the person to do the right thing, the client might realize they don’t really trust the person quite enough, and re-think the whole scenario. Or the client might confirm that they want the money to be contingent on successfully finding a good home for the animal. (Then the question is, what is a “good home” and does the Executor simply decide whether the standard has been met? What if a no-kill shelter is the best available option?)

I don’t think I’d use a trust necessarily, but there are a lot of steps to making this provision. The main goal clearly is to take care of the animal, so the client really should think primarily about that instead of focusing on the formula of financial incentives for that goal.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.