[WSBAPT] Estate Planning Qs with regards to Real Property

Mark A. Morenz-Harbinger mark at harbingerandassociates.com
Thu Aug 27 13:48:07 PDT 2020

Hello All,

Would love to avail myself of the wisdom of the group. Client is
co-guardian (with his wife) of two great-nieces, who are both minors.
Their house is not yet fully paid off. There is a relative (X), not a
natural parent, who is willing to move in-state and be the girls'
guardians if both of them die.

This was my thought as to steps:
1. LI secondary beneficiary (primary is spouse and all of the rest of
this only matters if she predeceases him) is to be Relative X, as
Trustee of Testamentary Trust on Behalf of Grand-Nieces (minors).

2a. Upon death, LW&T creates Testamentary Trust; and
2b. LI proceeds go to Relative X as Trustee of that Trust.

3. Testamentary Trust terms say that i) Relative X must i) move into
home; and ii) use LI proceeds first to pay off mortgage, then for
benefit of Grand-Nieces.

[4. In separate process Relative X will also petition Court to be
Guardian. We cannot just use a DPOA for this since that statute is only
available to natural parents.]

5. Testamentary Trust terms also direct, either if Relative X cannot
physically move in to the home, or guardianship petition somehow fails,
or upon the girls both reaching a certain age, that the house shall be
sold for the benefit of the girls.

6. Relative X is also named UTMA property custodian in case it is
necessary.

MY QUESTIONS:
√ ...Does this approach cover the bases, or is there a gap in my
reasoning here? I originally was so worried about due-on-sale clauses
that I thought an RLT would be needed, but, upon further review of 12 US
§1701j-3, now feel like the LW&T handles it.

√...Further, am I right in thinking that, regardless of how it plays
out, that the LI proceeds will be protected under 48.18.410?

I know the devil's in the details and much depends on drafting, and if
anyone has some testamentary trust language I'll take it; but mostly I
just wanted to make sure there were no gaps that I had missed.

Thanks so much!

Best,
_Mark

--
Mark A. Morenz-Harbinger, Attorney-at-Law
HARBINGER LAW, PLLC // "See Success"

*~~> PLEASE VISIT out NEW WEBSITE at www.harbingerandassociates.com

NOTICE: HARBINGER LAW, PLLC  is a general civil law solo practitioner
serving the Seattle South Sound, Kitsap Peninsula area. This electronic
mail transmission is for the use of the named individual or entity to
which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
confidential. It is not to be transmitted to or received by anyone other
than the named addressee (or a person authorized to deliver it to the
named addressee). It is not to be copied or forwarded to any
unauthorized persons. If you have received this electronic mail
transmission in error, delete it from your system without copying or
forwarding it, and without opening the attachment(s), if any, and notify
the sender of the error by replying via email or by calling Mark
Harbinger at (513) 364-0119 (collect), so that our address record can be
corrected. Nothing in this email is to be considered to create an
attorney-client relationship and all advisory comments are meant to be
generic, unless a signed engagement letter along with the accompany
retainer has been fully paid.