[WSBAPT] Pets in Will

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Tue Aug 25 09:53:23 PDT 2020

Coming at this from the professional fiduciary direction - pet trusts, and basically any time we have pets in estate, creates unique challenges for estate administration and require detailed advance planning.  Decisions have to be made quickly to protect the health, safety and welfare of the animals (which may include livestock, inventories, etc.) and pet parents and other domesticated animal owners have various ideas for what they would like to see happen to their pets (personal property in Washington) at death and some will not work out as they hoped it would if the planning was poorly carried out.  If the plan includes working with a professional fiduciary, I strongly encourage engaging the fiduciary in the planning part to be sure (1) the client has actually spoken to the professional fiduciary about the pets, and (2) the plan in place is something the professional fiduciary understands, can do and is willing to do.  There should be a backup plan too.  A plan for pets should be every bit as thought-out as planning for every other living being.  Clients may say "I hope to be pet free when the time comes" but don't count on it - particularly if there are birds like Cockatoos in the mix.

Regards,

Mark

Mark C. Vohr, Esq.
Ohana Fiduciary Corp.