[WSBAPT] Disso Decree and decedent

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Wed Aug 19 21:27:08 PDT 2020

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

.
                               August 19, 2020

Alexis, I agree with Marcus. It’s well settled that divorce action
abates upon death,  _In re Marriage of Pratt_/,/ 99 Wn.2d 905 (1983).
 In the case Marcus cited, husband published notice of the divorce
based on a declaration court said was fraudulent.  Husband got order
to publish by claiming he searched for wife far and wide but couldn’t
find her. As it turned out, she had lived in the same spot for like 16
years, a mile or so from his Mom, and wife and D-I-L  were even in
occasional contact. Decree set aside so wife could get her share of
retirement military benefits.   In your case, if one party asserted
that parties were divorced as a result of the signed decree, whoever
wanted the parties to be married could have that decree set aside.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101