[WSBAPT] Reopening 2004 Probate

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:27:13 PDT 2020

Some thoughts I have:

You could reopen the estate and ask that your trustee client be appointed as the PR rather than the old PR.  Then, bring a TEDRA action against the old PR arguing discovery rule for reason it was not brought within the 3 year statute for TEDRA claims against the old PR.    I recently brought a TEDRA action and argued discovery rule and statute of limitations.  Here is my argument, seems it might fit if you can prove the father, who should have inherited the monies from the sale, was unaware of the sale and his inheritance and had no idea the probate had been closed administratively.  Of course, there is language about “should have known” which may play a part.  I would have to do some research on this but this might be something to consider.  Since it has been since 2007 that the clerk closed the probate and then the father died in 2007, it is going to be difficult argue that 13 years has passed with no one knowing this had happened.

XI.              STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
11.1   Plaintiff realleges all preceding paragraphs as if fully set forth in this cause of action.
11.2   The statute of limitations for actions against an attorney-in-fact for breach of fiduciary duties is as set forth in RCW 4.16.080(2) and RCW 11.96A.070<https://1.next.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=L&pubNum=1000259&cite=WAST11.96A.070&originatingDoc=N292A5AE09D7F11DA82A9861CF4CA18AB&refType=LQ&originationContext=document&transitionType=DocumentItem&contextData=(sc.Search)>.   The statute of limitations on a claim of breach of fiduciary duty is three years, however, the limitations period does not begin to run until the cause of action accrues.  Janicki Logging & Const. Co., Inc. v. Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, P.C., 109 Wn. App. 655, 659, 37 P.3d 309 (2001).
11.3   Under Washington’s discovery rule, a cause of action does not accrue until the plaintiff knows or, through the exercise of due diligence should know, the essential elements of the cause of action. Green v. A.P.C., 136 Wn.2d 87, 95, 960 P.2d 912 (1998). The discovery rule applies to a claim of breach of fiduciary duty.  Douglass v. Stanger, 101 Wn. App. 243, 256, 2 P.3d 998 (2000).   The key consideration is the factual basis for the claim and an action accrues when the plaintiff knows or should know the relevant facts supporting it, whether or not the plaintiff knows he or she has a legal cause of action.  Allen v. State, 118 Wn.2d 753, 758, 826 P.2d 200 (1992).
11.4   J operated as attorney in fact under a Powers of Attorney from 12/30/16, 8/1/17 and 9/21/17.  Guardianship for Richard was established September 24, 2019 and continued until his death on November 28, 2019.  PR Loren was appointed as PR of the Estate on March 9, 2020.  It was not until the Guardianship in the Legal Separation was opened in 2019 that Barbara became fully aware of the ongoing fraud, forgery and extensive financial abuse of her husband, Richard, by J had taken place.  This abuse carried over into their joint bank accounts and community property interests.

Dalynne Singleton
Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291
360.568.5065
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>
Website:  www.glglawgroup.com

As we face the challenges presented by COVID-19, we want to update you as to the steps we are taking at Gourley Law Group.  Our top priority is the health & safety of our employees, clients, colleagues, friends, & all of their families & communities. Therefore, I am working remotely.  We have limited staffing in the office to maintain critical functions. We are able to make & receive telephone calls, access files, emails & voicemails.  Attorney/client meetings will be handled by teleconference or virtually whenever possible.  Be assured that we will continue to advise & support our clients throughout this health emergency.

If you would like to set a telephone conference or in-person meeting, please email my paralegal theresa at glgmail.com<mailto:theresa at glgmail.com> or dara at glgmail.com<mailto:dara at glgmail.com>.

Please be advised, we are requiring all clients with scheduled appointments coming in, as well as our staff, to be prepared to wear a face mask or adequate covering during all in office interactions.

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.