[WSBAPT] Tax ID for RLT that became irrevocable

Sarah McCarthy sarah at kawlawyers.com
Mon Aug 10 10:16:16 PDT 2020

Side comment- on Box 11 of the SS-4 for the EIN application, be sure to use
the date the trust became irrevocable, and not the date the RLT was
originally formed/funded. If you use the latter date, your trustee will get
a letter from the IRS indicating that trust tax returns may be due back to
the year the trust was originally formed - even though of course during the
trustors' lifetimes the trust was a disregarded entity and trust income was
reported under the Trustors' SSNs.

*Sarah O’Farrell McCarthy*

*(Pronouns: she / her)*Attorney | Kelly, Arndt & Walker, Attorneys at Law,
PLLP
6443 Harding Avenue | P.O. Box 290 | Clinton, WA  98236
Phone: (360) 341-1515 | Fax: (360) 341-3272
sarah at kawlawyers.com | www.kawlawyers.com

This electronic message transmission contains information from the law firm
of Kelly, Arndt & Walker, PLLP which may be confidential or privileged.
This information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above,  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
further review, disclosure, printing, copying, distribution, or use of the
contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the original message.  Thank you.

We do not accept service of any kind by e-mail unless expressly authorized
in writing by the attorney of record.  This e-mail is NOT a contract and is
not binding upon the author pursuant to CR 2A. This e-mail is, at most, a
negotiation under ER 408.