[WSBAPT] Tax ID for RLT that became irrevocable

Krista MacLaren kjm.inc at mac.com
Mon Aug 10 09:39:16 PDT 2020

Hi All -

I want to obtain an EIN for an RLT where one of the Trustors just died, so the trust is now irrevocable and will continue to exist until the surviving spouse dies.  On the IRS tool to obtain the EIN, I assume I choose RLT as the entity even though it is no longer revocable?  And can anyone offer an opinion as to whether to take the Section 645 election?  There should not be a probate, as there is only one asset which is a brokerage account payable to the trust.  The reading I did on the election suggested there may not be a down side of taking the election, but I am not sure.  Also, I am unclear why the online tool asks questions that I do not see on the SS-4.  Does anyone know why that is?

Thank you,

Krista J. MacLaren
Attorney at Law
Northgate Executive Center II
9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 600
Seattle WA 98115
(206) 523-6116
kjm.inc at icloud.com

Please note, as with most email providers, Mac does not encrypt email messages. Accordingly, the confidentiality of messages sent to this address cannot be assured. This e-mail is intended for viewing only by the individual or entity to whom its content is addressed, and it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you received this email in error, please honor the privacy of the intended recipient: reply to the sender regarding the error and delete the message.