[WSBAPT] Change of Venue of Probate

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Aug 3 09:36:22 PDT 2020

I think this is just a motion under the probate caption. When TEDRA was first enacted I read the definition of "matter" under RCW 11.96A.030(2)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.96A.030> and thought, "man, there isn't anything that this doesn't cover" and that TEDRA would eventually swallow all disputes governing probates. But it actually seems quite a bit narrower than I realized. It clearly doesn't include anything relating to change of venue of the probate administration itself. Also, I think RCW 11.96A.050(4) implies that it's a motion within the existing probate proceeding:

(4) Venue for proceedings pertaining to the probate of wills, the administration and disposition of a decedent's property, including nonprobate assets, and any other matter not identified in subsection (1), (2), or (3) of this section, must be in any county in the state of Washington that the petitioner selects. A party to a proceeding may request that venue be changed if

That sounds an awful lot like "make the request in the proceeding" to me.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.