[WSBAPT] witness question

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Wed Apr 29 19:14:03 PDT 2020

Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

.
                               April 29, 2020

No. An ex spouse's parents,  your ex in-laws,  are not legally related.

A divorce is a dissolution of marriage.  It dissolves or terminates
your legal relationship with ex your spouse, and therefore, anyone
else not related by blood.
So, for example, a stepchild (a child of your ex  spouse) who you did
not adopt is not a relative, either.  So, you cease to have any legal
obligation for child support, even if that child lived with you from
age 6 mo. and you divorce when the child is 16 or 17, etc.  Your bio
children with ex continue to be your children because they are related
by blood.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Quoting nestor at pplsweb.com:

> [...]
> telling the truth or lie when offering testimony in court.
>

>    That said, I believe if you follow the notary prohibitions you
> are safe, which generally prohibit, spouses, parents, children and
> siblings and if the notary  has an interest.
>

>    Nestor Gorfinkel, Attorney at Law
>

>    Licensed in Washington & Florida
>

>    Florida Civil-Law (International) Notary
>

>    ATTENTION - THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENT TO THIS E-MAIL
> MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION THAT IS LEGALLY
> PRIVILEGED. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU MUST NOT
> REVIEW, RETRANSMIT, CONVERT TO HARD COPY, COPY, USE OR DISSEMINATE
> THIS E-MAIL OR ANY ATTACHMENTS TO IT. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS
> E-MAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY RETURN E-MAIL OR BY
> TELEPHONE AT THE PHONE NUMBERS PROVIDED HEREIN AND DELETE THIS
> MESSAGE. PLEASE NOTE THAT IF THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE CONTAINS A
> FORWARDED MESSAGE OR IS A REPLY TO A PRIOR MESSAGE, SOME OR ALL OF
> THE CONTENTS OF THIS MESSAGE OR ANY ATTACHMENTS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN
> PRODUCED BY THE SENDER.
>

>    P PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS E-MAIL.

>     FROM: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com
> <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> ON BEHALF OF Kira Rubel
> SENT: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 10:11 AM
> TO: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
> SUBJECT: [WSBAPT] witness question
>

>     Good morning, fellow practitioners! I had a question about
> witnesses and haven't found anything in case law about this.
>

>      Is a witness "related to you by marriage" if they are your
> FORMER in-laws? I have a client whose first wife passed away and he
> wants to sign his new RLT with those former in-laws. He's remarried
> now.
>

>       Thank you!
>

>            /Kira M. Rubel/
>

>            /*Licensed in CA and WA/
>

>            THE HARBOR LAW GROUP (/formerly, Law Office of Kira M. Rubel/)
>

>            3615 HARBORVIEW DRIVE NW, SUITE C (ON THE DOCK)
>

>            GIG HARBOR, WA 98332-2129
>

>            Tel.  (253) 251-2955 | (800) 836-6531
>

>            Fax. (206) 238-1694
>

>            Zoom ID. (253) 251-2977
>

>            www.theharborlawgroup.com[1]
>

>            The information transmitted (including any attachments)
> is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may
> contain confidential and/or privileged material that may be
> protected by law from disclosure.  If you receive this transmission
> in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the
> message and any attachments from your computer.  Any review,
> retransmission, dissemination, copying, or other use of, or taking
> of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
>

>            No Tax Advice: No matter what I say in this email, I am
> an attorney, not a tax advisor and cannot provide any tax advice to
> you! Please refer all tax matters to your own tax advisor to ensure
> you are receiving the most up-to-date and relevant tax advice.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.theharborlawgroup.com
  andrekita