[WSBAPT] Excise tax and gift supplemental

Kailei Feeney kailei at westseattlelaw.com
Fri Apr 24 09:26:12 PDT 2020

Less than assessed?

Yes, in King County this comes up regularly. I have escalated to get someone to explain the gift supplement is not appropriate. I have pushed back and instead provided a statement, by me, that simply articulated the facts and clarified also what there was no gift of equity/ the gift supp is not appropriate.

I have had another one, a quit claim deed, related to unmarried people refinancing and removing a person from the loan and title. Excise based on amount of loan and (King, again) county requiring a PSA to "prove" it was an arm's length transaction. It was not but again, the gift supp they were trying to require me to complete was not appropriate.

Based on the two above experiences, if there is anything odd seeming (by county standards) when I'm sending a deed in, I've taken to providing a narrative on letterhead when I send the deed and strongly requesting I am contacted to discuss before someone (arbitrarily) rejects and proposes made up requirements for "the fix."

I recognize that these transactions get flagged if less than assessed value but it's not the county's role to push parties to make false statements about gifts. Frustrating.

Kailei
Kailei B. Feeney
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image004.jpg at 01D61A1A.64674650]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
kailei at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:kailei at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
In office days: Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Our office is working to do our part to deal with the COVID-19 situation that is impacting us all.
We are NOT engaging in "in person" meetings for non-essential matters.
We are limiting the number of essential client appointments per day, and keeping essential appointments as short as possible, with all preliminary or follow-up discussions handled remotely.
We are ascribing by all distance, safety and sanitization recommendations for in person contact when it is necessary.
We are regularly sanitizing all "touch points" like doorknobs, light switches, thermostats, railings, chair arm rests, etcetera.
If I am sick, I will stay home, I ask you to do the same.
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>
CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment. Unless you have previously signed an engagement agreement with this firm, and the firm has accepted you as a client, NO exchange of information by virtue of emails or communications will create any attorney client relationship, including any duty of confidentiality, between sender and/or recipient.