[WSBAPT] [ADV] Re: Conditional RLT bequest

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Thu Apr 23 12:23:10 PDT 2020

It is my understanding that DSHS will challenge any SNT that is funded in any way other than the probate of the deceased spouse's Will that contains an SNT provision for the surviving spouse.

I agree that your hypothetical funding mechanism is problematic. If the RLT distribution goes directly to a Trustee of an SNT benefitting the surviving spouse, then the Trust was "funded" by the property in the RLT and not through the Will of the deceased spouse. I think this has been litigated (through fair hearing in Washington).

I don't have all my sources at my disposal because I am working from home, but the language is in the CFRs that the assets in the SNT are not considered to be "available resources" to pay for the nursing home or other long term care of the surviving spouse IF the SNT is created in the Will of the deceased spouse for the benefit of the surviving spouse.

Jane.

Jane G. Bitz
Of Counsel
Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC
12209 E. Mission Ave, Suite 5
Spokane Valley, WA 99206-4824
(509) 927-9700 x126
FAX: (509) 777-1800

[image001 (4)][cid:image003.png at 01D61969.F2E199A0][cid:image006.jpg at 01D61967.32A30A40]
THE CONTENTS OF THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND PROTECTED BY THE ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE OR OTHER APPLICABLE PROTECTION.  Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic mail in error, PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY E-MAIL, FAX OR TELEPHONE and PROMPTLY DELETE this electronic mail.  This mail cannot be modified without express written consent of Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC.  Thank You.